Marymoor Dog Park Flood Update – What to Expect…
The Sammamish River crested on Friday (Feb 7) and flowed into Marymoor Dog Park. We estimate that over 50% of the Dog Park is under water up to three (or more) feet deep. S.O.D.A.’s current Stewardship and Maintenance Agreement with King County Parks mandates “off-leash dog area weather closures” resulting from “poor site conditions or damage which could cause hazardous safety conditions for the public, excessive repair work to bring the OLDA (Off-Leash Dog Area) back to safe conditions, or both.” This provision of our contract is now applicable. Consequently, here is what you can expect:
1) The Dog Park will be divided into two temporary usage areas that will remain open (unless circumstances change).
The first open area will be the upper fields accessible from the Parking Lot G (by the Sports Fields). The upper-most fields by Lot G are “flood free” at this time – the entire lower elevation fields along the ditch lines are under water and will be marked as closed – please KEEP OUT of those areas.
The second open area will be the River Trail accessible by parking in Lot D (by the Wash Spot). The south most portion of the River Trail is flooded and closed. But the rest of the River Trail is OK. If you want to use the upper fields, you must park in Lot G. If you want to walk the River Trail, you must park in Lot D. There will be no access between the two open areas, as the flooded CENTER of the Dog Park will be CLOSED.
2) WE NEED YOUR HELP TO PROTECT OUR FIELDS AND THE HEALTH OF YOUR DOG(S):
* Please use other dog-walking locations (avoid Marymoor!) until it dries out!
* Please respect closure signage and fencing – this means people AND Dogs are to KEEP OUT of closed areas. It is impossible to put secure fencing around all areas that have been flooded – please use voice control to keep your dog away from areas that are closed. Remember: Flood Water is NOT Clean Water!
* DO NOT throw balls or toys into fields that have been flooded and/or are closed.
* Please keep your dog(s) on-leash in all other portions of Marymoor Park – dogs are not allowed on athletic fields.
THANKS FOR LOVING MARYMOOR DOG PARK AND HELPING US WITH YOUR COOPERATION UNTIL CONDITIONS CHANGE.